So you’re considering moving to Cleveland? I’m not surprised. Cleveland has a lot to offer, despite what you may have heard. It is being reborn as a vibrant city buzzing with possibility, alive with hope. Here are a few reasons why Cleveland is an awesome place to live right now.
- The cost of living is extremely low, about 12% lower than the national average. If you are looking to live an urban lifestyle and have access to all the fun amenities that come with it but don’t want to shell out 3,000 dollars a month for a studio apartment, Cleveland may be right for you. Right now as I browse through apartments.com I am looking at a beautiful one bedroom, one bath, 1200 sq/ft loft in one of our more expensive neighborhoods for $1250. Wouldn’t it be nice to actually be able to afford to enjoy living in the city instead of living paycheck to paycheck for an apartment the size of a closet?
- THE FOOD. Listen, I know everyone claims this about their city. But seriously, Cleveland has some truly incredible restaurants. Maybe it’s because we’re smack dab in the middle of farm country so produce and meats never have to travel very far, or because we’re located on a lake giving us access to plenty of fresh seafood (lake-food?). You will never run out of delicious restaurants to go to if you move to Cleveland.
- Speaking of the lake, did we mention that we aren’t landlocked? Maybe it’s just me, but nothing soothes my soul like looking out over a huge body of water. Lake Erie might not be a swimmer or surfer’s dream, (although I have heard rumors of a Cleveland Surfers Club,) but it sure is nice to get out on a boat or a jet-ski or just sit and have dinner on one of our many waterfront patios. There are a ton of beaches that you can take the kids or your dog to, or maybe just sit and enjoy the sunset over the lake. It’s a little piece of paradise on a hot summer day.
- Have a bit of wanderlust? Another great thing about Cleveland is its location in relation to other US cities. Living in Cleveland we are able to do weekend trips in so many other fun places. We are a short drive from Pittsburgh, Chicago, Indianapolis, Columbus, Buffalo, Detroit, and Cincinnati. If you’re willing to go a bit farther, we are just about an eight-hour drive from New York City, Nashville, St. Louis, and Ashville, NC. If your dream is to see as many major cities as you can, Cleveland is a fantastic choice for a landing pad.
- The people are just nice here. Maybe it’s because they’ve been underdogs their entire life, from previously humbling sports teams to being dubbed “mistake on the lake”, Clevelanders have not been fed with a silver spoon. But what has come from that is a sense of brotherhood and kinsmanship that I’ve never experienced elsewhere. They are cheering for Cleveland, and in order to do that, they have to cheer for each other. There is a mindset of collaboration over competition here because when Cleveland succeeds, we all win.
- Afraid to live in a city because you don’t want to feel trapped in a concrete jungle? You have to experience the Cleveland Metroparks. 18 reservations with over 100 hiking trails and nearly 23,000 acres of unadulterated nature await you. The Emerald Necklace is the perfect place to unwind and lose yourself in the great outdoors.
There are so many other perks of living in CLE that are coming to mind as I close out this list. The beautiful architecture, the Cleveland Flea, Indians games, the fact that there is almost ZERO traffic here, and so many other amazing things that perhaps we will have to write a part II. If I’m being honest, though, reading this list is only but a step in the right direction. To experience the grit and the glory that is the Sixth City and to truly understand the quality of life awaiting you here, you have to come see for yourself. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed.